Wednesday 12 July 2017

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs


Kathy Reichs, famous for her Temperance Brennan series (“Bones” on TV) has written over 30 books (according to her website).


Having watched (but not yet read) Bones, and thoroughly enjoying Temperance, and seeing this was a standalone, I thought I’d try Two Nights. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for my ARC.

Sunnie is a recluse, with a squirrel for a friend. She is contacted to help with a case of a missing girl and must meet with Opaline Drucker, a wealthy socialite who lost a daughter and a grandson in a bombing. The teenaged granddaughter went missing at the time.

Sunnie is my kind of heroine. Gutsy, smart; damaged and scarred, she seems afraid of nothing, and everything. She’s angry and takes on the world, yet resourceful and packs her underwear - and some serious weapons. I loved her strength and the glimpse we had of her soul. Her strong voice rang true, and this was written well - short chapters, lots of dialogue, and many villainous stalkers out to get her before her mission was accomplished.

Ms. Reichs is a forensic anthropologist, and this novel is more action and psychological thriller than forensic, which may disappoint Temperance fans. I had no basis of comparison.

However, I was a little baffled by all the crypticism (yes, that isn't a word, but it should be). There is a reason and a reveal which I won’t spoil, but I wondered whether it was worth all the subterfuge. It may make others less patient with this action-packed engrossing page turner.

3 stars

ISBN: 9780345544070


You may also enjoy Dead Woman Walking by Sharon Bolton  or what about Our Fathers by Karin Brynard?

More Books

No comments: