Tuesday 25 April 2017

The last anniversary by Liane Moriarty


Big Little Lies has just aired in SA as a seven part TV series. Even though it couldn't quite measure up to the book, it reminded me why I first fell in lust with Liane Moriarty.

That was my first, but not my last. I voraciously searched for every single one I could find, and I thought I'd done them all. Imagine my delight when, in the Margate Library (yes, of course I'm a member!) I found The Last Anniversary. 

The story starts with Sophie Honeywell wondering if Thomas Gordon was the one she let get away. She unexpectedly inherits his aunt Connie's house on Scribbly Gum Island -- home of the famously unsolved Munro Baby mystery. The mystery - a family affair - had been turned into a little industry, with Aunt Connie, Aunt Rose, and Enigma (the Munro baby) all living on the island, and running the various tourist attractions to great effect. Their families are also drawn into this, and it gets rather, well, complicated is probably the best word.


And this is what Moriarty does best. Unravel complex family situations, throwing in some dysfunctional personalities, and usually  a family event (the Trivia Night Quiz in BLL, the Last Anniversary here), where things culminate and ultimately resolve.

Formulaic? Yes. Too many characters? Possibly. Yet the intricate and fast-paced plot, together with the determination of some of these characters to better themselves and each other, drew me in and engaged me sufficiently that I found this to be a diverting and enjoyable passing of my time.

4 satisfying stars.

ISBN:9780060890681

You may also enjoy Big Little Lies, Truly Madly Guilty, by the same author. Or Lisa Jewell's I found You or The Girls.

More Books...

No comments: