Friday 20 May 2016

Ten of the Best #46


And here we are for the weekend. What are you doing? I'll be at the Kingsmead Book Fair - so excited! (Read my blog on it here.)If you are bored this Saturday in Johannesburg, I can highly recommend it - great vibe, food, books and authors. But before we head on out, we can't skip the ten of the best. What's been on your social media feed this week? I've had a bumper week. And given what I'm doing this weekend, a lot of the posts below are book-related - bear with me.

We will start with the politics, and get it over with. The Daily Maverick reported on two court cases that have gone against the politicians. How I wish that the national hobby of said politicians wasn't spending so much time and energy on defending their dubious practices. But it does seem like the courts are winning, for now.


I was at the Franschhoek Literary Festival last weekend. I know, I'm totally spoiled. In such a beautiful part of our country, we had perfect weather, wonderful food and wine, awesome talks, great conversations with friends. I didn't even notice that Eugene de Kock was there. (Can you tell I wasn't on social media much?) But he was, and his neighbour  in a session wrote this, which I found quite profound.




This clip is for the mums I know with sons who row. Some of you have even gone for lessons of your own. If you've tried to learn to row, you may relate to this clip. It's James Corden and friends. LMAO as they say. Click the image for the action.


Winnie-the-Pooh was one of my best stories to read as a child, and then to read to my children. And most of the stories that I did enjoy as a child were not my kids' favourites. There was so much more on offer for them. They did enjoy The Faraway Tree, but I'd somehow missed that particular Enid Blyton. Sad, but true. Anyhoo, this is not meant to be a rant about kids' books today and kids' books of yore, but a gush about Winnie and friends. Here are 20 life lessons from the Bear. My favourite? 
’If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in this ear.’’
What's yours? Have a look...


In other news, books are big again. I suppose you all knew that? That's why you're holding your phone/device/laptop reading this. But they are, and I am glad.


A beautiful blog on a Mom's response to bullying. So true - it's not enough to say "Be nice."


And for those of us with older kids - 

MILLENNIALS. STOP BEING OFFENDED BY, LIKE, LITERALLY EVERYTHING



I'm not exactly sure why this appealed to me, but it did. I found it very funny - maybe because this author has obviously taken some things to heart - 24 things no-one tells you about book publishing.


If this doesn't make you smile, or at least get your foot tapping, you should check your pulse to see if you are still alive. It's Justin Timberlake - Can't stop the Feeling. There are a whole lot of everyday people dancing their butts off. Literally. What fun.



No, it's not Bat Cat, it's not even Catwoman.....it's just "The Michael Jackson Cat". Cute.


Yes, that's ten already. Too short? Check out last week

Bye, I'm off for the weekend. Hope yours is as good as mine is set to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From Pooh
On communication
“ … when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”
On small pleasures
“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”
Or breakfast. Or dinner. Or drinks.