Thursday 24 March 2016

Between you and me by Lisa Hall

Gorgeous cover

This is the kind of book that you shouldn't read ANYTHING about before you start. You should just read it. Now.

And that should be the end of my review. But I promised Netgalley my honest review in exchange for my ARC, so here it is.

This book gripped me from the very first page. It starts with a violent scene in the prologue and then launches into the story of Charlie and Sal. They are in an abusive relationship and have a young daughter, Maggie.

Told from both their points of view, there is plenty of action and lots of dialogue. We meet the family and the neighbours. You can feel the emotion - the despair, the frustration, the tension, the stress, the love and the toxicity of the relationship - on nearly every page.

Lisa Hall has a lovely way of painting a picture of domestic chaos that manages to resonate with the reader - do I say things like that? - and shock and torture me at the same time.

Lastly, the ending. The beautiful, brilliant ending. I’m not saying. You’ll have to read it to find out. And I hope you have the same gasp that I did, because no one spoiled it for me.

A beautifully harrowing read.

4 stars

You may also enjoy The Girls by Lisa Jewell, or The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

More reviews

ASIN:
B01B7RRNB8

No comments: