Monday 15 June 2015

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton


4 out of 5 stars

Imagine if you could go back in time and change one thing in history. What would you do? Hooked? I was. Once I’d stopped trying to think of all the things in my life I’d go back and do differently, I did start to think about society – where did it all go wrong?

But what really drew me in is that I cannot imagine writing about this. How do you begin to plot a novel where altered history is your canvas? Where do you start? How does it end? Just. How anything?

Having read Two Brothers, I had no doubt that if anyone could write this, it would be Ben Elton. He is a brilliant storyteller, and manages to take history and find the familiar, the personal, and still keep the facts intact. In this novel, Hugh Stanton is the one who must ride off into the sunrise of time and save the universe. And, an ex- army MacGyver type with no personal ties, he is the very person for the job.

The novel was gripping and fast paced with many twists and turns to keep me guessing. I loved it. I loved the cleverness of it. I loved all the history, the passion, the importance of the quest. All my buttons are ticked.

So, I hear you ask, why only four stars, Bev? Well there was a teeny tiny bit of the plot that didn’t make sense to me. I can’t tell you why, I will ruin the story for you. So read the book, and if you don’t see it, ask me, and I will tell you. But read it, you’ll love it. Promise.

And by the way, I agree with my husband (yes, I did say that out loud). Two Brothers was better - I had a better connection with the characters, But that doesn't make this book any the less worth reading.

This book features in my recent best reads

ISBN: 9780593073575

You may also like Two Brothers by the same author

Here are all my reviews and recommendations.

No comments: