Friday 9 February 2018

My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood


About a year ago, it seemed that every second book had the word "Girl" in the title. I think someone realised that if you did that, sales would increase by 50%. Well, I think that may work with "Sister" too. It certainly does for me. Whenever I pick up a book about sisters, I'm suckered. And My Sister's Bones  seemed particularly intriguing.

But I had to wait for the husband to read it first. He bought it after all. And then I grabbed it, and read it, engrossed. From cover to cover, this is enticing. 

Kate Rafter is the war reporter. She has lived through bomb blasts, raids, survived gunfire, and knows the breathless fear  - so well, it gives her nightmares. So when she returns to her mother's house, the scene of some childhood trauma for Kate and her sister, Sally and is woken by a deadly scream in the middle of the night, she knows it's for real. This isn't Syria anymore.

But where did it come from? And what is going on with her sister, Sally, who lives down the road?

This is dark, sinister, and has a ferocious ending. Ok, maybe that's a bit OTT, maybe I was ferocious by the time I got to the end? Or reading ferociously?

It's one heck of a read and I loved it.

4 stars

ISBN: 9780241978153

You may also enjoy The Confession by Jo Spain, or The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. Or what about Dead Scared by Sharon Bolton?

SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments: