Friday 9 February 2018

Friday Books - The Good House

On Fridays we hook up with other book admirers and share excerpts from the books around us. I haven't done this for a very long time,  so it's good to be back.

We join Book Beginningshosted by Rose City Readerwhere you share the first line, and  a few thoughts about the book.



Today I'm featuring The Good House by Ann Leary. Here's the beginning.






I don't know exactly why, but that opener drew me right in. I was hooked, and I couldn't hep thinking about how she does it. What a great start.

From Goodreads:

"Hildy Good has reached that dangerous time in a woman's life - middle-aged and divorced, she is an oddity in her small but privileged town. But Hildy isn't one for self-pity and instead meets the world with a wry smile, a dark wit and a glass or two of Pinot Noir. When her two earnest grown-up children stage 'an intervention' and pack Hildy off to an addiction centre, she thinks all this fuss is ridiculous. After all, why shouldn't Hildy enjoy a drink now and then?"



At Freda's Voice, you'll find the Friday56, where the excerpt comes from page 56 or 56% in your Kindle.




Isn't Wendy your favourite best friend? Everybody needs a friend who steals their listings. Especially in Wendover, where there aren't that many to start with.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this book. I'm slowly getting the feeling that when it was written in 2013, it was way ahead of its time. And that a number of more recent books, using similar ideas, have gone on to be much more famous. This may just be the original. Sorry - i know I'm being cryptic, but I don't want to give anything away. Read it, you'll see what I mean. And if you've read it - let me know if I'm onto something.

Enjoy your reading this weekend  - leave me a comment with what you're up to and I'll check it out.

16 comments:

Breana M. said...

Welcome back! Also, The Good House sounds like an interesting story. I hope you enjoy it.

Katherine P said...

This one has been on my TBR for far too long! I think it's time to read it. I love the teasers you shared!

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds intriguing. This week I have The Philosopher's Flight by Tom Miller. Happy reading!

fredamans said...

Love both covers and snippets. It sounds like a fantastic book! Happy weekend!

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Yes, welcome back, Bev!

I love that first line and you're right, it really draws you in.

Here is my entry for today: http://bit.ly/2nLo2BK

Enjoy your weekend!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved this book! I had heard (and it was on Google, too) that there was a movie coming, based on the book. But so far, nothing.

Enjoy...and thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “THE PERFECT ROOMMATE”

Unknown said...

That opening pulled me right in. Sounds like a good one.

My Friday 56 from The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls

Bev Bouwer said...

I am, thanks Breana

Bev Bouwer said...

Nearly done and I’m loving it.

Bev Bouwer said...

You too Kathy.

Bev Bouwer said...

And yours looks great this week too!

Bev Bouwer said...

You too Sassy, I’m heading over now.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Laura - the title of your book has me smiling already. I’m on my way...

Jo-Ann Dziubek-MacDonald said...

Looks one intrigues me...I love that 56! Wendy sounds like a darling lol. Have a great weekend and happy reading :)

Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

Bev Bouwer said...

Not sure about Wendy being a darling, but she is fascinating. I loved the book. Thanks for the comment.

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I hope you enjoy! :)

Lauren @ Always Me