Tuesday 27 June 2017

Dead Woman Walking

Let me just admit up front that I find Sharon Bolton's novels addictive. I cannot put them down, and find them compulsive reading. There you go - I am a Sharon Bolton junkie, and it's been just over a month since my last read (Dead Scared).

So, you could congratulate me for walking past the stacks of this beautiful-looking book, trip after  trip to the bookstore, time after time. And then, I succumbed. Gosh I'm glad I did. And after spending a day devouring this, I really don't want to tell you too much, because I don't want to rob you of any of your own guilty pleasure.

I can tell you that there are two sisters. Isabel and Jess. They go on a hot air balloon ride in the opening chapter to celebrate Isabel's 40th birthday with disastrous (and gory) consequences. The murderer is spotted and he spots the spotter, if you know what I mean? So cat chases mouse, and why is mouse so very quiet? 

The plot is clever. There is some serious evil going on here, and the witty writing and accurate dialogue keep us racing through the clues, chasing towards a resolution. It's clear  that some of our characters have issues. We also, going back to Isabel and Jess's childhood - scenes on the beach, at home  - know they're from a fairly messed up family.

It's a little bit wondrous that we, the addicted, still may consider going on a hot air balloon ride for fun, or even a hike in the countryside after reading this. But there is great resolution, after some dead ends and twisty turns through the woods, countryside,  churches with nuns and peacocks. Oh and dogs. Of course. This is a favourite.

5 stars

ISBN: 9780552172639

You may also enjoy Daisy in Chains or Little Black Lies, also by Sharon Bolton, or The Beautiful Dead by Belinda Bauer.

No comments: