Friday 26 August 2016

Friday Books - You will know me

On Fridays I participate in BookBeginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56 - hosted by Freda’s Voice. Both involve sharing excerpts from a current book - the beginning and - you guessed it - page 56.

This week's book-







Click the cover for the Goodreads blurb. Which cover do you like best?



The vinyl banners rippled from the air vent, the restaurant roiling with parents, the bobbing of gymnast heads, music gushing from the weighty speakers keeled on the window ledges. Slung around Devon's neck were three medals, two silver and one gold, her first regional-champion title on the vault. "I'm so proud of you sweetie," Katie whispered in her daughter's ear. "You can do anything."




Here's my P56 (55 since 56 is blank)

"Necessity is what you do when there is only one path, choice, or desire."

- Nadia Comaneci, Letters to a Young Gymnast




My husband has just finished this book, and needs to write a review. Now he is asking me to read it, so he can discuss it with me before he writes the review. He knows. He cannot discuss it with me before I've read it. I may have to poison him. So guess what I'm reading this weekend?

I don't mind really, it actually looks like a great read, and I'm looking forward to it. I may have to hide away and read, though. I would really like to finish it before the discussions begin, and I don't think that's his plan!

Tell me what you're reading, and I'll pay you a visit. 

Happy reading everyone.


Check out my updated reviews : - 

12 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Both sound very intriguing!

Elza Reads said...

Hi Bev! I've never read anything by Megan Abbott, still want to. That tag scares me... Mother knows best. Creepy. Hope you will enjoy this one and I will be keeping an eye out for your review. Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-26-august-2016.html

Lisa Ks Book Reviews said...

This has me curious. It's clear things aren't going to be what they seem. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsDOAPC

fredamans said...

I actually prefer the second cover. It's ominous with no face on it. Plus it has that line about mother knows best...
Sounds like a wicked good read though too!
Happy weekend!

Whitney said...

I've been curious about You Will Know Me because I enjoyed Abbott's The Fever. I will have to look deeper into this one -- it sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been pondering this book, and yesterday it showed up on the bottom of my Kindle page, where they tempt you with more books. I did bookmark it, which is my defense against buying everything I see, but where I can put promising reads.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Nicole said...

The cover and title creeps me out a bit. So I am not sure it is for me. I hope you enjoy it. Happy Friday!

Unknown said...

LOL I hope he survives the weekend! You've got me curious. A new author for me too.

MY Friday 56 from Alpha Unleashed

Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense said...

There are just some books you need to have a discussion about. There is something very forceful about that title. Hope you enjoy!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Bev,

I have to say that I much prefer the first cover option, somehow it is much more in keeping with the title and the excerpts you shared.

Having multiple cover options, often depending on where in the world you live, is one of my absolute pet hates. For one thing,it is confusing if you follow an author and see what you think might be a new book from them when browsing in a bookshop, only to find that it is a re-print with a different cover and, even worse, sometimes a different title as well!

Hubbie and I don't read the same genres of books at all, so there is no chance that we will be discussing the same title any time soon. Whilst I am very much the fiction reader in our house, he sticks rigidly to his ethos that life is too short for novels and that books are meant for learning and becoming informed about a subject. We have our own separate shelf space and 'never the twain shall meet'!

Enjoy your reading of 'You Will Know Me' and keep the discussion friendly :)

Yvonne

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

This is SOOOOO wrong, but because I work with sex abuse victims, I can't see anything about gymnastics and not immediately think it's going to be a creepy sex abuse story.

Thanks for posting your beginning on BBOF!

Maria said...

I like the first cover myself - this sounds like a really interesting book - I might enjoy reading it myself - there is only one sister I can discuss books with - no one else in the family has my reading tastes ...lol...Thanks for visiting my Friday meme yesterday - I'm running a bit late getting around to everyone else....