Tuesday 14 June 2016

See how they Run - Tom Bale


"In the dead of night, new parents Alice and Harry French are plunged into their worst nightmare when they wake to find masked men in their bedroom. Men ruthless enough to threaten their baby daughter, Evie. "

This is touted as "The Gripping Thriller that Everyone is talking about". In fact every time I opened it on Kindle, that popped up - as part of the title of the book. Annoying, somewhat.

A quick Google search did not reveal this as one that EVERYONE is talking about. It wasn't on any best seller list that I could see. Twitter shows that the online book sales are doing well. Goodreads shows a decent number of reviews, and most people seemed to love it - average rating above 4 stars, so maybe it's me. And maybe those are all the people talking about it.
Am I being a little cynical if I say that the high rating could be because it is relatively inexpensive on Kindle?

The author is described as "a nice bloke". I admire authors, and I do realise how difficult it is to promote books, and how authors don't make much money from writing novels.

The book is good. It is gripping, and exciting. It isn't particularly well written. The characters are a little flat, and one dimensional. The action and the plot are great - moving quickly through the countryside with turns and twists, and never knowing who you can trust. Not that I cared all that much. However, when the dastardly motives are revealed, the details are a little sketchy, and the whole experience fell a little flat for me. 

Since it isn't available in print in SA, please will someone buy a Kindle version, and disagree with me? At least SOMEONE I know will be talking about it.

It is certainly a "value for money" read. Goodness knows there are precious few of those around these days. 

I would love it if this book did become the next "Gone Girl" and prove me wrong. At least we could buy it and read it in book club.

3 stars

You may also enjoy Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen, or Lee Child's Die Trying

No comments: