Monday 27 June 2016

In the stillness

What are you singing today? What is getting you going this morning? We all need a little inspiration on a Monday. Or a lot. I need a lot.




The thing I love most about running in the mornings is the stillness, the quietness, the solitude. The outside is echoing with my inside as I run - I am calming, quieting, and de-stressing as I pound. 

Have you ever wondered where that sense of order in the chaos that is usually your mind comes from? Well it can be explained by the fact that you are exercising. Even if you aren't conscious of it, your brain is busy re-ordering, prioritizing and managing your life. Isn't that great?

Psalm 46:10 tells us to "Be still and know." That's kind of what I mean. But did you know there is another angle to this?

The command to "Be still" comes from the stem of the word "rapha", which means "to be weak, to let go, to release." In poetic contexts, the noun form of the word was used to refer to "the place of the dead." Read more here.

Dead is really quiet. The one place where we have relinquished control completely.

So let go as you exercise this morning. Give yourself completely to the moment. Embrace the tranquility. Breathe. Love. Live.

And the music? Well, it's gotta be James Bay's "Let it go." 

So come on, let it go
Just let it be
Why don't you be you
And I'll be me?
Everything that's broke
Leave it to the breeze
Why don't you be you
And I'll be me?
And I'll be me


Happy Monday, everyone. Let's get out there and do this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely post. I don't run any more, but I get that same feeling from walking round my garden, my daily thankfulness walk.
https://cicampbellblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/12/may-i-have-your-attention-please/

Bev Bouwer said...

To be honest, Christine, I walk more often than run. Also used to run more.

A thankfulness walk sounds like an amazing idea. Going to try it.