However, there was one thing I could eat, and it always made me feel much better, even when I was at my worst. Broth. And I was fortunate enough to have a really good friend make me some home made beef broth, which I think was instrumental in the healing process.
What do you mean you've never made broth? It takes a while, but it is as easy as throwing things in a pot and cooking the goodness out of them. Literally.
I have a few recipes that I'll post links to, but if you make beef or chicken broth, you can keep it in the fridge for a few days, or freeze it and use it when you need it.
This is certainly a case where home made is so much better than store bought - the cubes and powders are not good for us. Read here why Broth is Beautiful.
Here is the method and recipe for beef broth - click the picture.
And chicken broth - Nigella's version is good, but I couldn't find it online - Sarah Wilson's is similar.
So what can you do with it? Here are my favourite uses.
1. Just heat it and sip it. It's great in place of a caffeinated drink, and will fill you up, late afternoon, when you have the munchies.
2. Use as a base for any soup - dilute with water if the flavour is too strong for you.
3. Gravy - add a thickening agent, like flour or maizena, and yum.
4. Stroganoff - here's my recipe.
5. Instead of stir frying vegetables in oil or butter, use a little stock - way healthier.
Have you made broth? What else do you use it for?