Tuesday 26 January 2016

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler

Simon Watson is a young librarian who is sent a mysterious old book, inscribed with his grandmother's name. What is the book's connection to his family? Simon, living alone on the Long Island Sound must find out. Also the women in his family seem to have a habit of meeting with misfortune on a date in July, and his sister is on her way home. 

I enjoyed this book, a debut novel. It had a lovely setting, and was well written. The characters were interesting - a little quirky, but pleasant. The plot moved nicely, with a few surprises.

But it didn't ever really grab me and plunge me into it. I watched, almost detached, as the mystery unravelled.
And towards the end, I started disengaging, with one scene in particular (not telling - read the book), which, although well described, entered into the realm of fantastical weird.


Borrow it from the library, or book club. It is diverting. And maybe it's me, not really my kind of book.

I read the one with the first cover, but I'm also showing you the second, because I think they're both so beautiful. I love it when the covers are good.

3 stars.

ISBN:9781782397762

You may also enjoy The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle or Church of Marvels by Leslie Parry

No comments: