Wednesday 1 July 2015

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

5 out of 5 stars 

Karin Slaughter just gets better and better. I started with one of her books in the middle of the Will Trent series (never a good idea, to start in the middle of a series) and I fell in love. I then read the series from the beginning. Of course, I found the Sara Linton series and read all those too. It was a joy. 

I realized as I did this that Karin’s writing has improved so much. Every new Will Trent is better than the one before. This means that her fans, like me, get more and more demanding. And we fall more for Will. And Karin, it has to be said -we miss Will Trent a lot. Cop Town was an excellent read. We thought we only had to wait one year. Then came Pretty Girls. And it had to be good enough for us to go another year without Will. Which I didn’t think I could do.

Oh my goodness. Will, please don’t hate me, but after reading Pretty Girls, I don’t know anymore. Karin, if you keep writing like this, I will still miss Will, but *said in a very small voice* life may just go on.



Pretty Girls was intense. The topic is grim – abduction of young girls. Not for the sensitive reader. The story is personal. The characters are wonderful – even the flawed ones. They are big and bold and believable. The relationships are real and honest. The raw emotion between the sisters was just beautiful. Spot on. There was one point when I went to find my husband, to tell him – that is exactly what I would have said to my sister if it was me. I lived this book, and didn’t want it to end. And the action and pace were a rollercoaster ride that got me screaming and begging for more.

This is the cover of the UK edition
If this book isn’t made into a movie exactly like it looks in my head, then I may just have to write the next Will Trent novel myself as a means of comfort.

Last thing. I am not a big gusher. I usually write fairly unemotional, balanced and thoughtful reviews. I realize that my reputation is at stake and that you may (with good reason) think that the above review sounds more like a tweenage fan’s account of a One Direction concert. I honestly don’t mind. This book was that good. Read it.


ISBN: 9780062430878
You may also enjoy The Shut Eye by Belinda Bauer or Second Life by SJ Bolton.

Here are all my reviews and recommendations.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds awesome, great review Bev. I can't wait to read it.

Unknown said...

Hi, Bev - Awesome review! Thanks for letting me know more about this book as well as Karin's Will Trent series. :)
@dino0726 from 
FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Diane. You may be able to get it off net galley- I think I saw on your blog that you are a member? You have a great blog. I will visit again.

Bev Bouwer said...

Thanks Lindsay, bit of a gush,but I couldn't help it. Now I've got a few books to review that I didn't like so much. I much prefer 5 star reviews to 1 or 2 stars. Oh well, not everything can be good.

Elza Reads said...

This is a GREAT review Bev! Full of passion and now I really want to start reading it. And I have it! Yea!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

Elza Reads said...

This is a GREAT review Bev! Full of passion and now I really want to start reading it. And I have it! Yea!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with me.