Wednesday 29 July 2015

Lost and Found by Brooke Davis


This is the story of Millie, who needs to find her mother, meeting up with Karl, the touch typist and Agatha Pantha along the way. I listened to the audible version, and the narration was excellent, with different voices for the different characters.

When a book is referred to as whimsical and quirky, I am reminded of when teachers give out certificates at school in the lower grades to children who are “spontaneous” or “free-spirited”. I am never sure this is a good thing. Similarly with this read.

I found the story of Millie quite tragic. Therefore the humour, and childishness with which she observed the situation were disturbing. There were parts of the book that were unbelievable in the extreme, and just so strange, that it impacted on my ability to connect with the characters and the story. I think I got a little lost in the reading.

The book is certainly different, but for me, it came across as more weird than endearing, more creepy than warm-hearted.
2 out of 5 stars

Here are all my reviews and recommendations.

ISBN: 9780733632754

No comments: